Shelburne — Military: The Soldiers' Monument.
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
In 1868 the town erected (at a cost of $2000) in the north part of Shelburne Falls village a handsome granite monu \ment, and dedicated it to the memory of the citizens of Shelburne who lost their lives in the military service of the government during the war of the Rebellion. Upon the four sides of the upper portion of the shaft are the inscriptions:
"Fair Oaks; Malvern Hill, Wilderness, Petersburg, Gettysburg, Port Hudson, Antietam, and Fredericksburg."
Upon the three lower sides are the names of the slain patriots, as follows:
"Tenth Regt., Co. H, Maj. Ozro Miller, Lieut. B. F. Leland, H. C. Severance, A. C. Merrill, H. S. Putney, E. M. Briggs, Jacob Bringol, E. W. Fay, James M. Williams, Silas Nims, H. C. Utley, Col. John Kellogg; 31st Regt., Co. B, Asa Tilden, George M. Lander; 34th Regt., H. W. Dodds; 52d Regt., Co. E, Nathaniel Herrick, L. E. Severance, H. D. Culver; 10th Regt., Co. H, Charles B. Dole, Josiah S. Emerson, John R. Campbell; Capt. Henry N. Kellogg, Ill. Vols.; 27th Regt. Co. B, Chauncey L. Emmons, Patrick Sweeney, T. E. Caler, P. C. Collins."
On the fourth side appears the following:
"In honor of the fallen soldiers of Shelburne. Killed or died of wounds, 14; died in rebel prisons, 5; total from all causes, 26."
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
08 Jul 2005