Rowe — Old Fortifications
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
In 1744 the province of Massachusetts erected a fort in this town in its chain of defenses against the French and Indians. It was of the nature of a stockade, and was called Fort Pelham. Although occupied for several years, it is believed that no enemy ever appeared in its neighborhood, and the garrison was permanently withdrawn before 1754. The location of this fortification, near the brook on the farm of Edward Wright, may still be seen. The site commands a good view of the surrounding country, and it was probably designed to cut off the passage of the enemy down the brook. The garrison was supplied with water by means of a well inside the fort, which has been filled up with stones and is now scarcely visible.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005