Rowe — Geographical
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
This is one of the hill towns in the northwestern part of the county; and is bounded north by Vermont, east by Heath, south by Charlemont, and west by Deerfield River, which separates it from Monroe and Florida. The general surface is elevated and bears a mountainous aspect, some of the peaks attaining a height of nearly 2000 feet. The most conspicuous ranges are the Adams Mountains in the southeast, and the hills along the Deerfield River, which are in many places marked by abrupt precipices, molded in grotesque and fanciful forms. One of these—Pulpit Rock—is a natural curiosity, and very closely resembles a canopied pulpit of the olden times. From its friendly shelter may be seen a region of country, stretching many miles sway, varied and beautiful,—a section of the finest scenery in the State.
The drainage of Rowe is chiefly through the Pelham Brook, which rises in the northeastern part of the town, and has a general southwesterly direction, receiving the waters of many tributary brooks in its course through the town. It has a good volume, and affords several excellent mill-sites. The nature of the town best adapts it for grazing, and dairying forms the chief industry of the people.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005