Rowe — Original Titles And Bounds
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
On the 2d of June, 1762, the greater portion of the present town of Rowe was sold at auction, by order of the General Court, and was purchased by the Rev. Cornelius Jones, of Sandisfield, for £380. The tract was known as Township No. 10, and was about four miles square, bounded south by Charlemont, and west by the mountains in Monroe. Mr. Jones called his grant Myrifield, and this name the town retained until it was incorporated, Feb. 9, 1785, with the name of Rowe. It was then made to embrace 200 rods more on the east, taken from the Green and Walker grant, and a like width on the south, taken from Charlemont. These bounds were modified in 1822, when all that part of Rowe lying west of the Deerfield River was taken off to form Monroe, and by the annexation on the southwest, in 1838, of a tract of unincorporated land called Zoar.
Mr. Jones offered his lands for settlement on favorable terms, and in February, 1779, he sold the remainder of his grant—about 4000 acres—to Wm. Parkhurst & Co., of Brookfield, for "nine thousand pounds, current money of the State;" and as much of the land sold to the settlers had also been paid with Continental money, which proved worthless, Mr. Jones was left in his old age in straitened circumstances.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005