Hawley — Town Clerks
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
1792-1804, Edmund Longley; 1805-6, Ebenezer Hall; 1807-28, Thomas Longley; 1829-30, Moses Smith; 1831-36, Thomas Longley; 1837-40, Moses Smith; 1841, Edmund Longley, Jr., 1842, Anson Dyer; 1843-46; Calvin S. Longley; 1847, John Vincent; 1848, C. S. Longley, 1849-50, George Lathrop; 1851-58, C. S. Longley; 1859-66, Dennis M. Baker; 1867-68, F. H. Sears; 1869-70, Freeman Atkins; 1871, Harvey Baker; 1872-74, Edwin Scott; 1875-78, J. W. Doane.
In May, 1794, Edmund Longley was chosen representative to the General Court. In that year it was also voted to provide a town stock of powder, lead, and flints.
"Voted to allow Capt. James Barker 20 shillings for warning parties out of town who have not received license to remain."
The town owns a hall, built about 1845, near the cemetery, and a poor-farm in the southwestern part of the town, where from four to six persons are maintained annually. The debt of Hawley is about $4500.