Hawley — Public Highways
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
At the first town-meeting, in 1792, Oliver Edgarton, George Eddy, Amos King, Ebenezer Burroughs, Arthur Hitchcock, Josiah Willard, David Parker, A. Rogers, and John Taylor were appointed surveyors of roads. Three years later the appropriations for highways amounted to £200; and in 1878, $1200 was voted for the same purpose, which has placed the roads in good repair. The town has no railroad, but is afforded sufficient shipping facilities at Charlemont.