Wendell — Geographical
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
WENDELL is one of the most hilly towns in eastern Franklin, and the smallest in point of population. It is bounded north by Erving, south by Shutesbury and Leverett, east by Orange and New Salem, and west by Montague. Its population in 1875 was less than it was in 1790. In 1790 it was 519. In 1875 it was 503. In 1800 it was 737. In 1810 it rose to 983. In 1820 it declined to 958, and in 1830 to 874. In 1840 there was an advance to 875, and again in 1850 to 920. It declined in 1860 to 704, in 1870 to 539, and in 1875 to 503.
Miller's River forms the entire northern boundary of the town, separating it from Erving, and about half the distance across the northern border the town is traversed by the Fitchburg Railroad. The town measures about six and a half miles in length, and about live and a half in width.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
18 Jun 2005