Shutesbury — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The town was incorporated June 30, 1761, and called Shutesbury in honor of Samuel Shute, who was Governor of Massachusetts Bay forty years previous to that date. In recognition of this honor, Gov. Shute's niece, who was the wife of Gov. Bernard, in 1761 presented to the town a handsome Bible, which is still in its possession.
The warrant for the first town-meeting was dated Sept. 20,
1761, and was issued by Eleazer Porter to. Jonathan Dickinson. The first town-meeting was held in the meeting-house Oct. 5, 1761, and of this meeting Ebenezer Childs was chosen moderator.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
22 Jun 2005