Shelburne — The Fire Department
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The Fire Department, of which G. R. Pierce is chief engineer, is located at the Falls, and includes two hand-engine companies and one hook-and-ladder company.
Hook-and-Ladder No. 1 was organized in 1873, has now 25 members, and occupies a house with Neptune Engine Company, on the Shelburne side of the Falls.
Neptune Engine Company was organized in 1863, runs a hand-engine, and has 110 members. Niagara Engine belongs to the department, but has its engine-house on the Buckland side of the Falls. Its organization dates from 1863, and its membership numbers now 75. The Fire District was organized in 1854; the Fire Department in 1863.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
08 Jul 2005