Northfield — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The incorporation of Northfield as a town dates from June 15, 1723, and the first town-meeting for the election of officers was held July 22d, in that year. Previous to this date, beginning with the third settlement, in 1714, the town officers had been either appointed by the committee placed in charge of town affairs by the General Court, or their selection submitted to the committee for approval.
Under the act of incorporation, however, the town was permitted to regulate its own affairs.
Mention has already been made of the elimination from the town of a large tract in the north in 1740, and Feb. 28, 1795, a portion known as Grass Hill, and lying in the great bend of the Connecticut, on its western bank, was set off to the town of Gill. The town chose its clerk from the beginning of the third settlement, in 1714, and began to choose selectmen (or trustees) in 1718.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
19 Jul 2005