New Salem — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
In 1753 the two grants issued to the original proprietors were incorporated as a district and called New Salem, for the reason that its proprietors belonged to old Salem. Under the act of 1786, the district became a town. Previous to the incorporation, from 1735 to 1753, the meetings of the proprietors were held in old Salem. All of the town records, dating from 1753 to 1856, as well as the proprietors' records, were destroyed by fire at New Salem Centre in 1856.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
02 Jul 2005