Monroe — The Manufacturing Interests
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The Manufacturing Interests of Monroe have been limited by the water-power of its single stream to the common industry of this part of the State,—the manufacture of lumber. Beginning at the northwestern point of Mill Brook, there have been the following improvements: a saw-mill, built soon after the town was settled by Daniel Gore, which was replaced by a mill erected by Levi Whitcomb, and which is now operated by A. A. Hicks; the next power was improved by Jonathan Hall, and the mill is now carried on by Charles Stafford; at the third power a mill was put up by Gilbert Ballou, which is at present owned by Warren Tower; Stillman Whitcomb improved the fourth power, and still operates the mill he built; below this point Isaiah Dunbar put up a mill where Emerson Stafford now has a saw-mill; and still lower, on the same stream, Amos Mason has in operation a saw-mill. Most of these are small, and the total quantity manufactured annually will not exceed 200,000 feet. Many years ago Thomas Stafford had a small grist-mill south of the centre of the town, which was long since abandoned.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005