Leyden — Burial-Places
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Although the first district burying-ground was established in 1788, there was a burying-place at Beaver Meadow as early as 1776. The one first referred to is probably the ground south of Leyden Centre, on the Greenfield road. Besides this cemetery there are three others in the town: one at Beaver Meadow, one in the west, and one near Frizzel Hill. Among the oldest tombstone inscriptions are the following: Priscilla Buddington, 1798; Mary Henry, 1797; Mary Ellis, 1802; Matthew Severance, 1801; Reul Severance, 1800; Robert Corss, 1800; Azell Washburn, 1805; Sally Corss, 1804; Elizabeth Morton, 1805; Cephas Severance, 1807; Miranda Severance, 1797; Mehitable Severance, 1803; Mary Morton, 1808; Capt. John Budington, 1810.