Leyden — Schools
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Not much can be written touching the early history of schools in Leyden, since the public records make scarcely any reference to educational matters. The reason for this is found in the fact that shortly after the incorporation of Leyden the district was divided into four school districts, and each school district was charged with the conduct of its own educational interests. The only public appropriation for the support of schools for many years after its incorporation was in 1789, when £50 were set apart for the purpose.
There are now (1879) five school districts in the town, and for the support of schools in 1878 seven hundred dollars were appropriated. The daily attendance of pupils at the public schools in that year was about one hundred. An excellent select school at Leyden Centre has been well supported for many years.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
24 Jun 2005