Leverett — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
In 1773 the residents of the tract now occupied by Leverett presented a petition to the town of Sunderland, praying for liberty to be set off into a new town, for a grant of the common lands within its boundaries, and an equitable proportion of the town property. In accordance with this petition the town of Leverett was incorporated March 5, 1774. The signers of the petition alluded to were Jonathan Hubbard, Moses Graves, Nathan Adams, John Keet, Jonathan Field, William Field, Jonathan Field, Jr., Jonathan Field (3d), Stephen Ashley, Josiah Cowls, Seth Field, Joseph Clary, Joseph Clary, Jr., Elisha Clary, Jonathan Graves, Moses Field, Daniel Smith, Absalom Scott, Jeremiah Woodbury, Joel Smith, Solomon Gould, and Moses Keep. This list, it is probable, included the names of all the settlers on the tract at that time. The town was named in honor of John Leverett, president of Harvard University.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
26 Jun 2005