Heath — The Professions
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The first physician was Joseph Lathrop, who was in practice as early as 1780. Three years later Dr. Stephen Bates established himself in practice; and from 1799 until after 1805, Dr. Benjamin Dickinson lived in the town. After 1800, Dr. Elijah Heaton commenced a practice, which was terminated by his removal before 1807. A year before, Dr. Joseph Emerson located in town, and followed his profession until his death, in 1842, which occurred just as he was about to visit a patient. Before this period, Dr. George Hill was in practice a short time. After 1830, Drs. Simeon Strong, Samuel Reed, and Ashman H. Taylor were practitioners. One of the latter's students was Dr. Cyrus Temple, who also followed his profession about a dozen years prior to 1867. Since that date Dr, Frederick Temple has resided here, although not regularly in practice.