Heath — The Manufacturing Interests
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The Manufacturing Interests of the town have been few and comparatively unimportant. On Avery Brook, Ephraim Hastings built a small grist-mill, about 1800, which was operated by Thomas White. After a number of years the mill was abandoned, but the single run of stones with which it was supplied still lie in this locality. On the same stream, at a later period, Col. David Snow had a saw-mill, which became the property of the Temples.
Or, as it is locally known. Middle Heath. Here have centred the principal interests of the town aside from those named. The place contains Congregational, Methodist, and Baptist Churches, the town-hall, a store and post-office, which are built round a common, and about twenty buildings, built in a straggling manner along the cross streets,
Stores have been kept at the hamlet by a man named Shepard, David Thayer, Ephraim Smith, Obadiah Dickinson and John Hastings, Lysander M. Ward, John Drury, Frank Coolidge, Augustus Smith, Daniel Rugg, Elijah Carpenter, Cyrus Temple, and Horace G. McGee. In the building now owned by John Burrington as a dwelling Winslow Buck had a store. In the northern part of the town a man named Thompson had a store after 1820.
In the old red house at the hamlet taverns were kept by Shepard, Thompson Smith, David Thayer, and Augustus Smith. For many years past the town has been without a public-house.
The Heath post-office was established after 1820, and was first kept by Sylvanus Maxwell, in a building nearly opposite the Baptist meeting-house. Usually the merchants of the place have also been the postmasters. Hugh Maxwell is the present official. Three mails per week are supplied from Shelburne Falls.