Franklin District Medical Society
Dr. Robert Andrews was a native of Sangerfield, Oneida Co., N. Y., where he was born in June, 1802. His father, Robert S. Andrews, was an early settler of that region, to which he emigrated from New Salem, Franklin Co., Mass. His mother died when he was five years old, and he lived for three years succeeding that event with his maternal grandparents. At the age of eight years he was sent to live with his grandparents on his father's side, at New Salem, Mass. Strange as it may seem, his relatives treated him with great severity during the six years in which he remained with them. At the age of fourteen years he had a guardian appointed,—an uncle,—and with him he for the first time saw the inside of a school-house and church. Here he remained only one year. At the age of eighteen he had acquired sufficient knowledge of books to teach a district school.
He studied medicine with Dr. William Brooks, and graduated at Dartmouth Medical College in 1831, with the degree of M.D. His medical practice commenced in 1831, at New Salem, in connection with Dr. Brooks, with whom be continued until his death, about 1837. He removed to Orange about 1849, and remained about one year, returning to New Salem, where he continued until 1859, when he once more located in Orange and continued until his death, which took place April 13, 1869, in his sixty-seventh year.
He was a reputable practitioner of both medicine and surgery, and had an extensive practice. He was a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society for many years, and also filled prominent civil positions. Was a member of the House of Representatives in the State Legislature for two or three terms, and a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1853.
Dr. Andrews was twice married. His first wife was Orra Merriam, of New Salem; his second was Mary Angelia, a sister of his first; both daughters of Benjamin Merriam, a prominent farmer of New Salem. He left three children, all sons,—E. Darwin; Robert Foster, now in practice as a physician at Gardner; and Warren Brooks, now in the drug business at Orange. Dr. Andrews was of a jovial, social temperament, noted for good-nature and love of fun and frolic.
Dr. Josiah H. Goddard was born in Orange, Franklin Co., Mass., in 1830. His father, who bore the same name, was a farmer of that town. Dr. Goddard studied under Professors Albert Smith, of Peterboro', N. H., and Willard Parker, of New York City. He graduated at Amherst College in 1856. In 1857-58 he was engaged in teaching in the State of Illinois, from which he subsequently returned and entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of New York City, where he graduated in March, 1861. He began the practice of medicine at Huntington, Hampshire Co., Mass., in July, 1861, and continued for about fifteen years, establishing an excellent reputation, though the arduous labor of a country physician among the hills was a severe strain upon his constitution. In the autumn of 1875 he removed to Orange, where he has since continued, and where his practice is largely confined to the thriving manufacturing village which has grown up at that point. Dr. Goddard is a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society. He married, in 1857, E. Jennie Corey, daughter of Charles Corey, of Dublin, N. H. His practice includes both medicine and surgery.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
06 Aug 2005