Appropriations for county buildings were made as follows: 1813, $2000; 1814, $2100; 1815, $1900; 1816, $2160; total, $8160. These amounts probably cover the cost of both court-house and jail, which were probably erected in 1813.
The first court-house building for the use of Franklin County is now occupied by the post-office and the Gazette and Courier office. The probable expense of this building was about $6500.
In 1822 the offices of clerk of the courts and Probate were removed from the court-house and located in the building occupied by the Franklin County Bank.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
06 Aug 2005