Buckland — Hamlets and Villages
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
In the northern part of the town was formerly a business point called the "Mill-Yard," where Henry Taylor was engaged as a merchant, and was followed by Ebenezer Maynard, who for many years transacted a large business. This trade was diverted to other places, and the little hamlet in consequence declined. Near the southern extreme of the town were shops, mills, and other adjuncts constituting a hamlet, the last store being kept by William Patch, but when these became inoperative the place became, in fact as well as in name, simply a "four corner;" nor did the busy and once promising hamlet at the Hawley line continue to live to merit the name of "Buckland-Upper City." One after the other of its industries passed away, and the place has long borne a deserted appearance. A store was formerly kept here by Harvey White, and on the road below was a public-house kept by Elias Smith.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005