Ashfield — Roads
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The first road ever laid out in the town was the continuation of an early thoroughfare that passed from Hatfield into Deerfield, and thence into Ashfield. An old map of the town, made in 1794, shows the following county roads: A county road entering the town from Conway, just south of Bear River, and passing, first westerly, then northerly, into the town of Buckland; another pressing from Conway by way of South River, and taking a westerly course through the town into Plainfield; another entering the town from Goshen, crossing the southwest corner of Ashfield for three miles, and going thence into Plainfield; and a small one passing through the extreme northeast corner of the town for about half a mile. The same map shows the following early mills of the last century.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
29 Jun 2005