Whately — Unitarian Congregational Society
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The Unitarian Congregational Society was formed Jan. 9, 1866, when a constitution and by-laws were adopted, but the first meeting of the persons entertaining that belief was held April 23, 1865, and the services were con-ducted by the Rev. J. F. Moors, of Greenfield. Regular preaching was established by the Rev. E. B. Fairchild, July 9, 186 5. Jan. 17, 1866, the society elected its first officers, viz.: David D. Wells, Clerk; Dennis Dickinson, Treasurer; James Scott, Myron Brown, Alonzo Crafts, Assessors; Asa Dickinson, Collector.
In the summer of 1866 a neat frame church was erected in the hamlet, on a lot given for this purpose by Dennis Dickinson. It was dedicated Jan. 17, 1867. Mr. Fairchild remained with the society about three years, and was followed by the Rev. George H. Eldridge, who preached nearly two years, Rev. Leonard W. Brigham and others have since served as supplies.