Warwick — Industries
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The value of the yearly products of the town's industries is about equally divided between agriculture and manufactures. The value of the former was, in 1875, about $72,000, and of the latter $86,810, the number of farms being 153.
There are a number of saw-mills in the town, and, among these, the mills of G. W. Moore, C. W. Delvey, and Geo. N. Richards produce also pail-staves and heading, and that of A. C. White chair-stuff. A boot-factory at Warwick village, conducted by Nahum Jones, who established it at that point in 1854, provides employment for about forty persons, and produces annually about 20,000 pairs of boots, of the estimated value of $50,000. George M. Wheeler manufactures brush-woods in the south part of the town, to the value of about $6000 yearly, and employs from 6 to 8 men. The braiding of straw hats is an industry that is briskly pursued by the women of Warwick. The products of agriculture are limited in quantity to furnishing the supply for home demand, although some shipments of cattle, butter, and cheese are made. Warwick was noted for her fat cattle some years ago, and in 1860 and 1861 held two important cattle-shows.
The total value of the town, in 1878, was $252,241, of which $210,325 was in real estate. The total tax-State, county, and town-was $6439.22, or at the rate of .025.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
14 Jul 2005