Warwick — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Dec. 27, 1762, the proprietors of the tract joined with the inhabitants in petitioning the General Court to incorporate the plantation as a town, and Feb. 17, 1763, the town of War-wick was duly incorporated. Common belief ascribes the origin of the town's name to the desire of the inhabitants for honoring either Warwick in England, or Guy, earl of Warwick. There is, however, no record to show what was the real origin of the name. The first town-meeting was held May 9, 1763, and Seth Field was moderator. The warrant for the meeting was issued by Seth Field, of Northfield, to James Ball, of Warwick.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
14 Jul 2005