Sunderland — Villages
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
There is but one village in the town, although there is a small settlement in the north sometimes called North Sunderland. This village, which is known as SUNDERLAND STREET, is the spot where the earliest settlers located, and is prettily laid out upon one broad and handsomely-shaded thoroughfare, which faces the winding Connecticut. At this point the river is spanned by a fine iron bridge, built in 1877, at a cost of $21,000, to replace the wooden structure swept away by a flood in 1876. The first bridge built at this place across the Connecticut was erected in 1812. The stone piers upon which the present bridge rests cost, several years ago, upward of $20,000.
There is at the Street a fine brick school building (used for a graded school, and containing also the town-hall), which cost, in 1867, about $20,000. The village has also a store, hotel, church, and post-office. The railway station nearest the "Street" is at South Deerfield, on the Connecticut River Railroad, one and a half miles distant on the west. North Sunderland contains a church, but neither post-office nor store.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
05 Aug 2005