Orange — Burial-Places
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
There are five public cemeteries in the town ,—one at Orange Centre, one at North Orange, one at Furnaceville, one at West Orange, and one in the eastern part. Of these, the handsomest is the one at Orange Centre. It occupies a commanding elevation overlooking the village, is wellnigh embowered within the shade of numerous pines, and contains, besides the soldiers' monument, many handsome tombstones, as well as smooth gravel-walks and gracefully-embellished burial-lots.
The burial-ground at North Orange is the oldest one in the town, and coutains the graves of many of the early settlers. Among the oldest inscriptions to be found therein may be mentioned the following: Chloe Ellis, 1780; Mary Ellis, 1780; Mary Ward, 1777; Mary Lord, 1783; Elizabeth Cheney, 1789; Zina Goodell, 1789; Ebenezer Deming, 1790; Sarah Ward, 1790; Dolly Mayo, 1793; Jonathan Chapin, 1793; Stephen Nelson, 1793; Jonathan Ward, 1797; Melatiah Thayer, 1795; Priscilla Harrington, 1793; Elisha Johnson, 1800; Ebenezer Goddard, 1803; Wales Cheney, 1800; Oronia Goddard, 1801.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
03 Jul 2005