Orange — Early Roads
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Roads were accepted, March, 1784, as follows: one from Warwick line, near the top of Fall Hill, to the road near Metcalf's mills; one from Miller's River northeasterly, on the lands of John Erving, to the road near Ruggles' house; one beginning on the north side of the road, through the farms of Abner Morton and Benjamin Dexter, and then through the lands of Samuel Aldrich and Thomas Lord to the saw-mill dam, and so on to the county road; one from Ebenezer Goddard's dwelling-house to Woodward's mills.
In 1785 the roads accepted were: one from Justin Cady's house, south and west to the county road; one beginning at Jason Herrington's house, and running to the old road near Cady's land; one from Ebenezer Demond's house to the Warwick line, on Samuel Pitt's land. In 1785 the district joined with Orange in building a bridge over Miller's River. The highway of the Fifth Massachusetts Turnpike Corporation, established in 1799, passed from Northfield, through Warwick and Orange, to Athol.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
03 Jul 2005