Monroe — Geographical
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
THIS town is situated in the extreme northwestern part of the county, west of the Deerfield River, and principally on the eastern slope of the Hoosac Mountain. It is bounded on the north by Vermont, on the west and south by Florida, in Berkshire County, and on the east by the town of Rowe, of which it formerly constituted a part. Monroe was incorporated Feb. 21, 1822, to embrace all that part of Rowe lying west of the Deerfield, and an unincorporated tract of land, called "the Gore," receiving its name from the President of the United States. Its area is small, embracing only about twelve square miles, and but a small portion admits of easy or profitable cultivation. Along the river are some fertile lands, having a loamy soil, and near the centre of the town is a tract of arable land, though of a somewhat less productive nature. The remainder has been valuable chiefly for the timber growing upon it, and since that has been removed is esteemed of little consequence. Mill Brook is the principal stream. It crosses the town in a diagonal course from the northwest to the southeast, and affords a number of small mill-sites, whose improvement has given employment to many people of the town.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005