Leyden — Villages
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Leyden Centre is the only village in the town having a post-office. It occupies a commanding position upon a lofty eminence, whence the view of the surrounding country is expansive and inviting.
The only church building in the town is located here, and in this building is a hall used for town-meetings, lyceum debates, etc. Here is, too, the Glen Spring Cheese factory-building, unused, however, at present. There is also a store at this point,—the only store in Leyden.
BEAVER MEADOW SETTLEMENT, in the northeast, is also a small rural village, and, as in Leyden Centre, the inhabitants have surrounded their homes with many evidences of taste as well as comfort.