Leverett — Industries
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The manufacturing interests of Leverett have latterly suffered a decline, but are still the most important elements in the town's industries. At North Leverett the chair-factory of Wm. Hatch, the pail-manufactory of S. S. Graves, who also operates a scythe-nib factory, and several saw-mills on Saw-mill River, give employment to about 50 persons. Wm. B. Stetson, of East Leverett, has operated an extensive saw-mill at that point for the past fifteen years, and employs therein at present 15 hands. At the same place, A. C. Field & Son have a small establishment for the manufacture of yarn and satinet, and Rodolphus Turner manufactures extension-tables, churns, etc. Leverett Centre has one manufactory, owned by the New England Box Company, which began operations there in 1875, and employs 20 persons in the production of fig-boxes and similar light receptacles, to the value of about $15,000 yearly.
The agricultural interests of the town are embraced in the production of tobacco in a small way, the raising of stock, and the manufacture by farmers of butter and cheese. The growth of grain and other farm products is not beyond the demands of local consumption. The State census reports of 1875 give the following statistics: Number of farms, 179; value of agricultural and domestic products for 1875, $84,150; value of manufactures, $32,004. The total valuation of the town in 1878 was $303,950, of which $52,135 was in personal and $251,815 in real estate. The total tax —State, county, and town— was $4115.16, or at the rate of $1.30 per $100.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
26 Jun 2005