Leverett — Early Settlement
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Settlements were made as early as 1727 upon the tract now occupied by Leverett, when it was within the limits of the town of Sunderland. From that date to 1774 grants were made to Samuel Montague, Daniel Warner, Isaac Hubbard, Samuel Smith, Benjamin Graves, Joseph Field, Jonathan Field, Ebenezer Billings, Samuel Billings, Samuel Gunn, Daniel Russell, Isaac Graves, Benjamin Barrett, Jos. Clary, Nathaniel Dickinson. Joseph Dickinson, Nathaniel Gunn, Ebenezer Billings, Jr., Joseph Lord, William Scott, Daniel Hubbard, John Billings, Samuel Graves, Jr., Benj. Graves, Nathaniel Smith, Jonathan Bridgman, William Scott, Jr., James Bridgman, Samuel Gunn, John Gunn (2d), Samuel Smith (2d), Samuel Smith, Samuel Scott (2d), John Scott, Edward Elmer, William Rand, Israel Richardson, Daniel Hubbard, Fellows Billings, Eleazer Warner, Widow Deborah Gunn, Luke Smith, Richard Scott, Noah Graves, Simon Cooley, Samuel Blodgett, Elisha Clary, Samuel Clary, David Smith, Silas Graves, Richard Montague, Nathaniel Barstow, Nathan Adams, Seth Field, Jonathan. Gilbert, Jas. Converse, Widow Root, Samuel Taylor, Samuel Harvey, Widow Barrett, Josiah Alvord, William Allis, Ebenezer Marsh, John Marsh, Benjamin Barrett, Zadock Sanborne, Benoni Dickinson, Manoah Bodman, Abner Cooley, Wm. Bowman, Solomon Gould, John Woodbury.
The first permanent settlement of the tract was probably made in 1750. Nathan Adams, Moses Graves, Solomon Gould, Elisha Clary, Joseph Clary, Joel Smith, Moses Smith, Jeremiah Woodbury, Joseph Hubbard, Isaac Marshall, Jonathan Hubbard, Richard Montague, Barnard Wilde, and Absalom Scott took up their residence in that year. The majority of them settled in the neighborhood of what is now Leverett village, although settlements were made at the same time in the north and east. Long Plain, about a mile south-west of Leverett village, was settled shortly after 1750, Josiah Cowles, Jonathan Field, Stephen Ashley, and others, being the pioneers of that section.
Among the residents of Leverett claiming descent from the early settlers of the town may be noted the Montagues, Graveses, Fields, Clarys, Dickinsons, Richardsons, Adamses, Gilberts, Goulds, Woodburys, Keetses, and Ashleys.
Early roads were laid out as follows: In 1774, one from the country road leading to Shutesbury, running west from Israel Hubbard's land, through the lowland across the river into land occupied by Isaac Marshall: one beginning at the road by the south end of the fish-pond, turning easterly into Nathan Adams' land, continuing in the old foot-path; then easterly through Adams' grass-land; thence through Nie's land; thence into Mr. Hunt's land, and then to the country road near the Shutesbury line: one beginning at the south end of Clary's Hill, running southwardly by the, river, and then by the swamp-bank some ways; then on the plain straight to the mill-dam; thence over the river, turning northwesterly to a brook under Cave Hill; then around the south end of the hill, and thence to Joseph Clary's house: one in the west part of the town, beginning at the country road at Silas Graves' house; then around Graves' field west, thence south into the old riding road west of Ingram's pond, and then by marked trees to the three-square plain: one beginning at the north-west corner of Jeremiah Woodbury's lot on Cave Hill, running south to the road coming from Clary's Mill. In 1778, one beginning at the northeast corner of Adam Negroe's land, running easterly into the county road, near Wm. Hubbard's house: one from the road at Jonathan Hubbard's house north to the highway, and then to the meeting-house: one from David Boynton's house, by Elijah Cutter's house, into the mill-road: one from the county road at Barnard Wilde's house, east across the river; then south up the hill into Eleazer Packard's lot; then east to Joseph Abbott's house. Twenty pounds were raised in 1774, to be expended on highways that year. In 1775 it was resolved to expend no money on the highways that year. In 1778 the amount raised for work on roads was £150, and in 1780 it was £1000.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
26 Jun 2005