Heath —Religious Societies
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The people of the town were formerly connected with the church of Charlemont, and the first meeting-house of that town was erected in what is now the southern part of Heath. Here they had the ministerial labors of the Rev. Jonathan Leavitt, first as pastor of the old church, and later as an occasional preacher. Mr. Leavitt being a resident of the town. After it was determined to form a new town, Jonathan Leavitt, Hugh Maxwell, Asaph White, Nathan Gould, and Roger white were appointed to memorialize the Charlemont church for liberty for form anew church. This favor was granted, and on the 15th of April, 1785, was duly organized.