Erving — Burial-Places
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The burying-ground first laid out is at Erving village, and is the only public burial-place in the town. Although interments were made in the ground as early as the year 1800, or shortly after, the oldest headstone bears the date of 1814. The cemetery occupies the declivity of a hill a short distance north of the village, and is admirably adapted by nature as an appropriate resting-place for the dead. Among the oldest inscriptions are the following: Elizabeth Field, 1814; Sally Fisk, 1818; Hannah Hammond, 1826; Rufus Field, 1820; Ira B. Packard, 1833; Jonathan White, 1829; Eunice Holden, 1832; John Packard, 1849.