Erving — Villages
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
There are two villages in the town, and both are manufacturing points.
ERVING CENTRE, a station on the Fitchburg Railroad, lies also on Miller's River, and gains its chief support from four wooden-ware manufactories, located on the stream near the village. The village is the seat of town government, and has a tine town-hall, which was built in 1874, at a cost of $14,500. There are also here two stores, a hotel, a church, and two schools.
The second village is MILLER'S FALLS, on Miller's River, opposite Miller's Falls village in Montague. Here are located the extensive works of the Miller's Falls Manufacturing Company, and of many of the employes at this establishment the population of the village is composed.
Both Erving Centre and Miller's Falls village rest, as has been seen, for substantial support upon the interests of manufacture, which have prospered at both points uninterruptedly since 1868, and which promise to maintain and improve, in time to come, the healthful growth and substance of both villages.