Erving — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The tract now occupied by Erving was originally a portion of what was known as Erving's Grant, and by the latter name was called until Erving was incorporated April 17, 1838, the perpetuation of the name being designed as a memorial to John Erving, who bought the territory of the original purchasers. It is the youngest town in Franklin County, Monroe, which comes next with respect to paucity of years, having been incorporated in 1822.
No events of stirring or novel interest have entered into the history of Erving, since the town had no very early history, and it cannot, therefore, furnish those fruitful reminiscences which are found in the musty and time-worn volumes of other towns.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
22 Jun 2005