Deerfield — Biographical Notices Of The Settlers Previous To Philip's War
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Jonathan Plympton, son of John, born 1657; was the victim of this family offered up at Bloody Brook with Lothrop.
Quintus Stockwell was of Dedham, 1664, but not a proprietor in the grant. He probably settled on No. 31, drawn by Robert Hinsdale, as he sold that lot to Thomas French when he left the town, in 1694. It is the lot now occupied by the orthodox parsonage. Stockwell, like Sergt. Plympton, confident that the Indian troubles were over, had come back, in 1677, to rebuild his home, and with him shared an Indian captivity, but not his horrible death. He returned from captivity, and published an interesting account of his sufferings and experiences. He removed to Branford, Conn., and later to Suffield, where he died, in 1715.
Nathaniel Sutlieff, of Medfield, 1668-71. He bought of Joshua Fisher, of Dedham, six cow- and one sheep-commons, in February, 1672, and doubtless located on that right. The lot is now known as the Col. Asa Stebbins place. He married, in 1665, Hannah, a daughter of Sergt. John Plympton. He was lost with Capt. Turner, in 1676, leaving children who settled in Durham, Conn.
William Smead, son of Widow Judith, of Dorchester; was of Northampton, 1660. In 1674 he bought the house-lot No. 25 of the Dedham proprietor, Thomas Fuller, on which he was settled after and probably before Philip's war, where he died before 1704. He married, 1658, Elizabeth Lawrence, who was killed Feb. 29, 1704. He left a large family, and all of the name early in the country were his descendants.
William Smead, Jr., born 1660; was killed with Lothrop.
James Tuffts, son of Peter, of Charlestown. He owned lot No. 37, drawn by Mrs. Bunker; this was bought of his heirs, in 1687, by Simon Beaman. Here was the site of the first known school-house. It is now owned by Mrs. Catherine E. B. Allen.
Daniel Weld, of Medfield, 1672, brother of "Mr. Thomas Weld, of Roxbury." He married, 1664, Mary, daughter of Robert Hinsdale. His location was about where the Barnard house now stands. He returned at the permanent settlement, and died here in 1699.
Richard Weller, of Windsor, 1640; was of Farrington before 1659; of Northampton, 1662; and here, 1672. After the war he came back, and died 1690. He married, in 1640, Anna Wilson; and in 1662 married Elizabeth Abel, at Northampton.
John Weller, son of Richard, born 1645; came with his father to Pocomptuck; escaped the dangers of Philip's war, and returned at the new settlement, and died 1685 or 1686. His wife was Mary Alvord, of Northampton, who bore him seven children, the youngest five years old at his death.
Thomas Weller, son of Richard, born 1653; was probably killed with Lothrop.
Rev. Samuel Mather, who was here before Philip's was, will be noticed elsewhere.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
03 Aug 2005