Deerfield — Geographical
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The Pocomptuck of two centuries ago lay upon the west bank of "ye Grate River Quinneticot," its shore-line being about twenty miles long. Its south line was the north bound of the Quonquot purchase by Hatfield, running from the place where the Pocomptuck path crossed the Thee-ki-o-an-mick (or Sugar-Loaf Brook), seven miles westward. The north and west bounds were each about thirteen miles long, abutting against the unclaimed wilderness. This territory of about one hundred and thirty square miles has been shorn of its fair proportions from time to time by cutting off the towns of Greenfield, Gill, Conway, Shelburne, and a part of Whately, until it now contains but about thirty-six square miles. Its old boundary was territory now occupied by the towns of Coleraine, Leyden, Bernardston, and Northfield, on the north; by Montague, Whately, and Williamsburg, on the south; east, it was separated by the Connecticut River from Northfield, Erving, Montague, and Sunderland; on the west lie Goshen, Ashfield, Buckland, and Charlemont. The present bounds of the town are Greenfield, north; Whately and Conway, south; Montague and Sunderland, east; Shelburne and Conway, west.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
03 Aug 2005