Charlemont — The Town Records
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The Town Records contain much interesting and instructive matter, which is given in connection with appropriate topics. Dec. 23, 1773, a special meeting was held, when it was agreed to make application to the General Court to secure the annexation of 3000 acres of land, lying on the south of the town, granted to Hezekiah Ward and others, to the town of Charlemont. Asaph White was employed to secure the annexation,
"Upon conditions that he can get it clone as cheap as lie can; and not to exceed forty-eight shillings; and if he don't get it, not to have anything for his cost or trouble."
In 1774, Lieut. Hugh Maxwell, for attending the Provincial Congress, was allowed £6 8s. Deacon Aaron Rice, for making rates and perambulating the town line, was allowed 6s.
In 1775, Samuel Taylor, for attending the Congress in April, was allowed £2 15s. 1d.; Samuel Brooks, for sweeping the meeting-house two years, 6s.
In 1778 "it was agreed and voted that whoever shall kill a grown wolf within the bounds of the town within the term of twelve months, and shall produce a certificate that the same was cropped by the constable, in presence of one of the selectmen, shall be entitled to the sum of one hundred dollars."
In 1878 the liabilities of the town were reported at $22,847.39, and the resources at $5360.50. The latter item includes the poor-farm, valued at $1500. It is located in the northern part of the town, and is substantially improved. From five to eight poor are maintained yearly, at a cost of about $160 each; and nearly $500 per year are expended for the support of the poor outside of the town-farm.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
15 Jul 2005