Buckland — The Buckland Female School
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The Buckland Female School was established by her in Graham's Hall, at the centre, in the fall of 1826. It was attended by about 50 pupils, and was very successful, but the prospect of a more extended field of labor induced her to leave for a few years. In the fall of 1829 the school was again opened with nearly 100 pupils, living not only in the surrounding towns, but in States even so remote as Michigan. Miss Lyon was assisted by Louisa S. Billings and Hannah White as teachers, and Clarissa Ranney, Jerusha W. Billings, Mary W. Billings, Lucinda Butler, and Susan N. Smith, pupil-teachers. Fourteen girls from Buckland attended, and a prosperous future awaited the school, but it could not be here continued for lack of accommodation, and in 1830 it was permanently removed.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005