Buckland — Geographical
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
This town occupies an interior position west of the centre of the county, and lies south and west of Deerfield River, which separates it from Charlemont and Shelburne. On the southeast is the town of Conway, south is Ashfield, and west are the towns of Hawley and that part of Charlemont lying south of the Deerfield River.
As incorporated April 14, 1779, it embraced a part of Charlemont and the unsurveyed territory lying between that town and Ashfield, known as "No Town." The area is small, and the surface is broken by many hills, rising to a height which renders them untillable. The most prominent are Moonshine, in the southeast, Putnam, near the centre, and Johnson's Hill, in the northeastern part, all terminating in well-defined peaks. West of the centre of the town is a range of hills of great elevation extending nearly across the town. These modify the course of the principal stream, Clesson's Brook, which, flowing from Hawley eastward, is bent to the southern line of the town, and then flows northward to the Deerfield River, through a small but fertile valley. In this valley, and along the Deerfield, are the principal settlements. Other streams are the First, Second, Third, and Clark's Brooks, all draining into the Deerfield River. Agriculture is at present the chief pursuit of the people.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
01 Ju1 2005