Bernardston — Representatives At The General Court
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Bernardston was first represented at the General Court in 1764, when Maj. John Burk was the representative. From that date to 1857, when Bernardston became a part of district No. 1, the town was represented by the following persons:
Elisha Burnham, Hezekiah Newcomb, Alpheus Barstow, Caleb Alvard, Jonathan Budington, Lemuel Foster, Gideon Ryther, Stephen Webster, George Alexander, John Hamilton, P. L. Cushman, Hatsel Purple, John Brooks, Jonathan Allen, Henry W. Cushman, Adolphus Hale, Daniel W. Temple, Isaac Burrows, John E. Burk, Samuel S. Wright, K S. Hulbert.
In 1784, Leyden was set off from Bernardston as a district, and in 1809 became a town. Between those years Bernardston and Leyden joined in the election of a representative.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
17 Jul 2005