Ashfield — Villages And Hamlets
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Ashfield Plains, the principal village in the town, is situated it little east of the geographical centre. It comprises three churches, Congregationalist, Baptist, and Protestant Episcopal, a town-hall, three stores, post-office, hotel, and a large number of substantial dwelling-houses. The principal street is shaded by rows of beautiful maple-trees, and a handsome soldiers' monument adorns the village.
SOUTH ASHFIELD is a small village one mile and a half south of the centre. There are a store and post-office there, several mills, and a number of residences.
HOWESVILLE and SPRUCE CORNERS are small hamlets, the former in the north part of the town, and the latter in the southwest section.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
29 Jun 2005