Ashfield — Post Offices
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
The post-office at Ashfield Plain was established about 1815, and the mail was carried from Northampton, via, Whately, Conway, Ashfield, and Buckland, to Hawley once week each way. The first postmaster was Levi Cook, who kept the office in his house. He was succeeded in 1842 by his son, Richard Cook, who was followed by George G. Hall for a short time. Moses G. Cook (son of Richard) then held the office until a recent period. The present incumbent is Miss Eliza Jane Cook (daughter of Richard).
The post-office at South Ashfield was established about 1866. The only postmaster has been the present incumbent, Chandler A. Ward.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
29 Jun 2005